Wednesday, September 21, 2022

"The Artist's Corner..."


"Untitled"
Oil on canvas
Gwang Ye


What I Like About This: Here is a very rare and unique post indeed... I usually refrain from posting explicitly homoerotic works, despite my innate admiration for them.  Nevertheless, I find that the artist who can tastefully and with skill depict the most powerful of human emotions, instincts and acts is certainly deserving of recognition.  This work is from what I like to think of as a new sub-genre of gay-centered art, works from China and the far east.  There are a number of Chinese artist who produce works in this genre intended for western audiences and Gwang Ye is one of those who I have noticed and appreciated.  This particular work attracted my attention by its relevance to the pandemic. Ye has rendered his subjects in face masks and thereby firmly fixing in time the period he is depicting. I think that we will look back on this era and wonder what human intimacy and relationships were like and I believe this painting gives us an important record of the far reaching effects of the global pandemic.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.