Tuesday, September 20, 2022

"The Artist's Corner..."


"Blue Stripes"
Oil on canvas
Nicolaas Porter
(Aad Sterrebaan)


What I Like About This: Like most people, I am drawn to works that I can identify with, and so this painting featuring as its subject a man of color appeals to me on that level.  But moreover, I admire and appreciate the artist's style and technique. He make the subject the clear focal point by rendering him in much more detail and realism than the other features of the scene, you can see this clearly in the way that the table on the right, although in the foreground is merely a potent feature, but not executed with the same precision and detail as the young man. I also think most people would find this to be a "tasteful nude," a difficult achievement for any artist depicting the human body.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.