Monday, September 26, 2022

"The Artist's Corner..."


"Sunday Sessions"
Oil on canvas
Cecilia Cardiff


What I Like About This: Here is a work of art in a genre that I'm strangely drawn to... It's of a subject that is almost a fetish of mine, and one that I've noticed other gay/SGL men to be drawn to as well, that of servers and waiters.  I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about waiters as a subject that I find so appealing, but I do suspect it has something to do with gay men's affinity for service work - think waiters, flight attendants, male nurses, etc.  Yes, I know that is a very stereotypical point of view on my part, but it is one that I consider to be one of my own OGTs*.  As to this actual painting and what I like about it beyond the appealing subject, is the artist's bold strokes and use of light and shading... The  colors are bold and dramatic and although this is reportedly a work in oil, to my eyes it has the qualities of a watercolor which adds to the interest and appeal.  And here again, as I've often remarked, I find that female artists are more adept at capturing realistic maleness without over exaggerated perfectionism and that is an underrated and highly appreciated quality of this work.



* OGT: Acronym for an "obviously gay trait." - a quality or characteristic of personality often associated with a homosexual that reveals their true nature.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.