Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Coming Out...?"


Today is National Coming Out Day and while coming out is a very serious and important event in the lives of GLBT people, the idea of a 'day' to do just that has always appealed to me.  I've been out to my family and friends for years now and out on my job as well and I can tell you that it is one of the most liberating and empowering things that I've ever done.  Although there were difficulties along the way, and biases and bigotry to overcome, having made the journey (which never really ends), I can say unequivocally that for me, it was the right thing to do.

You can read about my coming out here:

Coming Out... In The Beginning
Coming Out... The School Days
Coming Out... The Brothers
Coming Out... Dear Sister
Coming Out... The Missionaries
Coming Out... There's Something I Want To Tell You, Son

If you're thinking of coming out, here are some resources from HRC to help you begin your journey:


At the Intersection: Race, Sexuality and Gender
Celebrities Come Out for Equality in 2012
Coming Out as a Straight Supporter
Coming Out at Work
Coming Out in the Workplace as Transgender
Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
Coming Out to Your Doctor
Equality Magazine
Family and Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
Family and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
Glossary of Terms
Guía de Recursos Para Salir Del Clóset
Language and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
Living Openly in Your Place of Worship
Religion and Coming Out Issues for African Americans
Religion and Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
Religion and Coming Out Issues for Latinas and Latinos
Resource Guide to Coming Out
Resource Guide to Coming Out for African Americans
Society and Coming Out Issues for Asian Pacific Americans
The History of Coming Out






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.