Thursday, July 20, 2023

"I Am Always Remembering..."


July 20, 1969 - Shortly after 11 p.m. EST

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind." 
Inscription on the plaque mounted to the lunar landing module Eagle


Nearly 20 years ago now, I shared my memories of this momentous day with the BBC:


Although I had only recently celebrated my fifth birthday, I have a very vivid memory of that day.

We were all glued to the television at our kitchen table.

My brothers and sister and I were gathered around our parents. I was the smallest boy, so I got the privilege of sitting on Dad's lap.

I remember, my father being very quiet and mindful of what was being described on TV.

Then when Neil Armstrong started down the ladder, I felt a tremor run through my Dad. When he made his famous speech, I felt something wet drop onto the top of my head - I turned to see profuse tears streaming from my father's eyes and rolling over his cheeks.

My father would later say, "Even serving in the war (WWII) paled in comparison." He was never more proud of being an American than on the day our flag flew on the moon.



Christopher Flournoy, USA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.