Thursday, August 24, 2023

"The Truth Of My Life In Songs..."



This song is special to me for a couple of reasons... Firstly, because it reminds me of my late sister, Ora Jean. I have her original 45 of this song. When I found it still on the turntable of an old phonograph that had been collecting dust on a shelf in a corner of our basement about 50 years ago, I noticed that one side of the record had been played so much you could visibly see the wear and scratches made by many passes of the stylus. That worn out side was the "A-side" with Sam Cooke's "We're Having a Party."  So whenever I hear this, I'm reminded of my sister's joie de vivre and how she must've loved that song. She could miraculously find an exuberant happiness in the most mundane of everyday moments of life and living. I miss her terribly. 

But like that record, I seemed to have born on the other side of things... And like me, this song was on the hardly played "B-side." Somehow, from the first time I heard it, I knew that the lyrics of this song would speak to the precious desires of my own heart one day. Sam Cooke, backed by none other than the unmistakably brassy Lou Rawls pleads for a true love's return. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.