Thursday, October 28, 2021

"The Imitation Of Life..."










Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Michael Berryman and James McArdle as Thomas March in Man in an Orange Shirt (2017) dir. Michael Samuels

“My Darling Thomas,

I’m at work. Nobody knows I’m writing you here. You refuse my visits, so you’re probably tearing up my letters, too. But there’s nothing else I can do but keep trying. It’s beyond my control, do you see?

All those months ago when I had nothing to lose really, I wrote you in my head but was too cowardly to set more than lies on paper. And now I find I no longer care. The love I feel for you runs through me like grain through wood. I love you, Thomas. Your face, your voice, your touch, enter my mind at the least opportune moments and I find I have no power to withstand them. No desire to.

I want us to be together as we were in the cottage, only forever, not just a weekend. I want it to go on so long that it feels normal. I think of you constantly. Your face, your breath on my neck at night. I want to do all the ordinary, unbedroomy things we never got around to doing. Making toast, raking leaves, sitting in silence.

I love you, Thomas. I’ve always loved you. I see that now. Tell me I’m not too late.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.