Sunday, August 25, 2019

"The Truth Of My Life In Songs..."


I've often thought that much of my life could be set to music... And if so, this would be one of the songs on the soundtrack of my life...

This track would accompany a scene from my life that I would title: "A Brief Shining Moment*"


"Both Sides Now"
Performed by Roger Whittaker

Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and they snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way that you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
And you leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love
Really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

Oh but now old friends they're acting strange
And they shake their heads
And they tell me that I've changed
Well something's lost but something's gained
In living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life
I really don't know life at all


Songwriters: Joni Mitchell
Both Sides Now lyrics © Crazy Crow Music / Siquomb Music Publishing, Songtrust Ave



That "brief shining moment"* was a day in June of 2007. Our love affair was in full bloom and he more or less lived here with me and we spent most every night in each others arms... 

On that particular day, everything seemed so right with us and the world... We'd smiled and laughed and enjoyed each other's company over breakfast as we discussed our imagined friend, "Fred the Cat."  Later that morning, as he was preparing to leave for work, he discovered that his car had a nail in a tire, so I told him to take my car to work and I'd take his and have it fixed,  I watched and waved from the front door, as he got behind the wheel and drove off and I was filled with joy that could do some small thing that day for my beloved.

When I got home from work, as I was preparing our evening meal I heard the sound of his key unlocking the front door.  As I washed my hands so that I could go to greet him, he called out to me saying, "Honey, I'm home!"  When I heard him say that, I was awestruck, I felt butterflies in my stomach and my heart swelling with love for him. I realized that I had never imagined hearing such a thing from anyone...  I rushed to the hallway where he was there smiling, briefcase in hand. As he set down his things, he said, "I love you, Dear Heart" and then he gave me a sweet and gently passionate kiss as we embraced one another... 

I've never forgotten that day and that brief shining moment of joy and this song reminds me of it.


I am always remembering...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.