Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"The Truth In Cinema..."

Omid Abtahi as "Amrit Singh" in "Ocean of Pearls"

We Americans are a very ethnocentric people.  Despite the principles that we say have guided us in our beliefs, we are nonetheless typically fearful and ignorant of that which seems or appears different from what we know as "normal."  And yet, we have managed to create a generally tolerant and occasionally generous society in which even those who are different can peacefully co-exist and thrive.

And, as I have sought my own peace over the differences that are my own, I have been a student of the world in which we live.  I know much about myself, and far too little about other people, other cultures and other's beliefs.  Yet, I've sought to know more, to understand and to relate, with the hope that I might understand myself and my place in the world thereby.  To that end, I can speak to the culture and beliefs of many people, yet I am wise enough to know that I really know "just enough to be dangerous..."

While I am keenly aware of the gratuitous evil that goes on in the world and in our country every day, I typically don't focus on it here unless it relates to my mission of finding "the truth of peace" for same gender loving people.  And so, I did not comment on the Colorado massacre, or before today on the Wisconsin Sikh Temple attack.  However, when I look at who visits this blog and where they come from, I realize that perhaps there is more than one message that I can offer.

In my own quest to understand who our Sikh brothers and sisters are, I gained a new appreciation and  admiration for the Sikhs and their beliefs and all they have overcome.  It was then that I realized that I wanted to help perhaps you who is reading this get to know something about them.  I love the cinema, I often refer to it as "the imitation of life," because it offers a glimpse (even if an imperfect one) into the truth of being human.  And so, for anyone who wants to know more about the Sikhs, here is a wonderful first introduction.  I highly recommend* you see the acclaimed 2008 film, "Ocean of Pearls."  It is the story of a successful second-generation Sikh in North America.

The full film isn't freely available online, but is a streaming and DVD selection through Netflix here.


See more scenes from the film on YouTube.  Visit the film's official website here: Ocean of Pearls

While you won't learn all that there is to know about Sikhs and their beliefs by watching this film, it will start you on your way.

Like all religions, the Sikhs have tenets of their faith, this is my favorite:

"There is but One God, His name is Truth, He is the Creator, He fears none, he is without hate, He never dies, He is beyond the cycle of births and death, He is self illuminated, He is realized by the kindness of the True Guru. He was True in the beginning, He was True when the ages commenced and has ever been True, He is also True now."    Guru Nanak

To learn more about Sikh beliefs visit: Sikh.org


"Fear Eats the Soul"



* A small disclaimer: "Ocean of Pearls" is an indie film produced in Detroit. It is the first film directed by a Sikh with a Sikh character as the lead role. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.