Monday, June 11, 2018

"The Truth About Who We Are..."


Mark, Showroom Merchandiser/Sample Coordinator, Portland, Oregon
by thegaymenproject
photos by Kevin Truong

Mark, in his own words: "I would sit with my infant self that was born with broken bones and not held for weeks and tell him “You are ok. You are loved by the universe. You will heal.”

I would sit with my 6 year old self that wanted dolls to put in the back of his toy truck and tell him “You are ok. You are loved. You are magic.”


I would sit with my 12 year old self that had crushes on all the boys and none of the girls and tell him “You are ok. You are loved. You are magnificent.”

I would sit with my 14 year old self that sat in front of everyone else to watch tv so he could cry without being seen and I would tell him “You are ok. You are loved. Perfect just as you are.”

I would sit with my 17 year old self that decided he needed to come out to his parents as they walked out the door to a church picnic and I would tell him “You are ok. You are loved. You are strong.”


I would sit with my 20 year old self that was disowned for wanting to love and be loved and I would tell him “You are ok. You are loved. Their ignorance is not your fault.”

I would sit with my 23 year old self that left his hometown to be free, once and for all, and I would tell him “You are ok. You are loved. You are so brave.”


I would sit with my 28 year old self that finally gave his parents an earful and said all of the things he’d been wanting to say for years and I would tell him “You are ok. You are loved. It’s ok to not need your birth family.”


I tell myself I am ok. I am loved. I will heal. I am magic. I am magnificent. I am perfect just as I am. I am strong. I am brave. Some days I don’t believe me. Most days I do."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.