Tuesday, March 20, 2018

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."

Greg Berlanti (right) and husband Robbie Rogers with their son on their wedding day.

Love, Simon Director Greg Berlanti: How Muhammad Ali Gave Me Courage to Come Out to My Parents

People.com
Jess Cagle
March 17, 2018

In the moving comedy-drama Love, Simon (in theaters March 16) Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel star as the parents of Simon, a high schooler played by Nick Robinson who struggles to tell loved ones that he’s gay. Acceptance in America has increased dramatically in recent years, but coming out as LGBTQ is still a profound and often traumatic experience.



After years of struggling to find the “right moment” to come out to his parents, the TV producer (Riverdale, Supergirl) was inspired to do so after watching Ali light the 1996 Olympic torch while staying with his mom and dad in a cramped hotel room.

“[Ali] really inspired courage,” he says. “He lit the torch and I turned off the television set. I said ‘Well I want to tell you guys…and for a long time I’ve known I’m gay.’ I just sort of had one long run-on sentence.”

While Berlanti admits that the conversation didn’t “go super well,” he says their relationship improved after the Dawson’s Creek producer wrote his parents a letter explaining that he’s still the same person he always was.

“My father got the letter and he called me. I could hear that he was really moved by it,” he says. “That was it.”


PEOPLE and ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, along with GLSEN, the non-profit that fights to make schools safe for all kids, invited individuals from all walks of life to share real-life coming out stories. COMING OUT STORIES (produced by Ryan Buxton) can be seen at people.com/comingoutstories.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.