Thursday, November 20, 2014

"The Truth About Why Marriage Matters..."


Emmett and Allen

Right after Allan and I got married in Illinois, my son called me. And I said we had gotten married and there was this pause. I said “We have been together 18 years.” So he said “It's about time.”
I think for us right now marriage and recognition of it in Alabama would just give us some security and alleviate some legal concerns.


Ron and Ken

This is who we are. We are two individuals who love each other for who we are, and our family loves us and our community loves us. We have children and grandchildren and they’re in our lives and they love us too. My daughter calls him her second father. We aren’t any different, except that we happen to be two males and, in this case, we happen to be opposite colors. And we need the protection and the same rights as any other family would have.


Andres and Diego

We got married in Washington DC in March of this year. My mom is very open minded so she didn't really have a problem with it, but my dad is very conservative so it's a topic that is not discussed.
It would have been nice to do it at home though - to be able to do it where I grew up. I think that if I pay my taxes and I'm a law abiding citizen, why wouldn't they allow me to love someone and get married?


Corey and Dwight

When I told my mother that we were getting married, she was ecstatic. I mean, she was excited the first time I ever brought him home and wanted to know when he was moving in. We were a bit worried about my father though. When we told him about us, you know, he was, like, “Congratulations.” He was happy for us and then I asked him if he would do the toast and he just told me, “Yes, I'd be glad to.” Well, I talked to my mom about a day or two later and she said “Oh my God, he is so excited about doing this toast.” He said, “It's really like he's asking me to be the best man and I've got to do this toast and I don't know what to say.” So he is actually real excited about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.