Wednesday, August 6, 2014

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."


THIS IS A SPOKEN WORD POEM I WAITED 20 YEARS IN THE CLOSET TO SHARE

Steven James Boyle
August 4, 2014

A couple of months ago, I recited my first poetry reading in front of an audience that wasn’t the plants in my apartment.

While I’ve never been afraid of public speaking, the thought of telling a room full of people my innermost thoughts, scared the ever living shit out of me.

In attendance was my poetry class who I had grown to love dearly, but had never alluded to that I was gay. I changed every pronoun before that night, and stayed away from the fact that my muse at the time was a boy who had broken my heart. Also in the audience was everyone who came out to see their friends do poetry, strangers I had never met, and a small group of my own friends who had no idea what I was going to read since I rarely, if ever, shared my writing.

This was my first time ever reading my newest poem at the time, “i hit send, or modern meltdown.”

What happened next was one of the most memorable nights of my life.

Watch below:


*****

"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.