Saturday, March 23, 2013

"Sometimes In Advertising..."



Earlier this week, I participated in a paid focus group looking at potential LGBT themed advertising for a national insurance company.  It was an enlightening and fun experience, I felt like I was in an episode of "Mad Men".  That being said, I have to say, I feel that the ad agency really missed their mark with the work we reviewed.  Of the six potential print ads we looked at, I found two to be really off-putting.  And of the remaining four, I only liked one.  I think their "Mad Men" should think about taking a cue from Virgin Atlantic's ad agency...


I've loved this Virgin Atlantic ad (above) since the first time I saw it years ago.  It very effectively uses gay themed humor in a way that anyone gay or not can identify with.  It's not offensive in the least, it's just fun.


I think I was approached to participate in the focus group (although I don't know for sure, I didn't think to ask that) because of this blog and some of the features that I post here. As I listened to the comments of the other participants, I realized that they put some thought and effort into making our focus group truly diverse and representative.  Our group consisted of three gay men - two white, one black (guess who?), and three lesbian women - again, two white and one black.  We came from all over the country and from both urban and rural backgrounds.  It was a fascinating process and I hope I'll have the chance to do it again.


"Fear Eats the Soul"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.