Monday, September 24, 2018

"The Poet's Corner..."


"Sonnet 16"
Richard Barnfield

Long have I long’d to see my love againe, 
Still have I wisht, but never could obtaine it; 
Rather than all the world (if I might gaine it) 
Would I desire my love’s sweet precious gaine. 
Yet in my soule I see him everie day, 
See him, and see his still sterne countenaunce, 
But (ah) what is of long continuance, 
Where majestie and beautie beares the sway? 
Sometimes, when I imagine that I see him, 
(As love is full of foolish fantasies) 
Weening to kisse his lips, as my love’s fees, 
I feele but aire: nothing but aire to bee him. 
Thus with Ixion, kisse I clouds in vaine: 
Thus with Ixion, feele I endles paine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.