Sunday, July 23, 2017

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."


He Gave Up Conversion Therapy, So His Dallas Mega-Church Threw Him Out

"I don't think they're aware just how much this can hurt somebody."

NewNextNow,com
Matthew Tharrett
10/20/2016

A gay man who was banned from his Dallas church for refusing to complete conversion therapy and having a relationship with another man says his faith was “shattered” by the church’s decision.


Jason Thomas recounted the humiliation he felt after receiving a letter from the Watermark Community Church on Facebook this week, to mark the one year anniversary of receiving it.

“We have recognized a destructive pattern that prohibits us in caring for you and playing the role you desire for us to have in your life,” the letter reads in part.

“Your desire to actively participate in a same-sex relationship with another man, and your unwillingness to heed biblical counsel from your church to turn from that relationship, has made it exceedingly difficult to shepherd you during this time.”

“We are praying that repentance comes quickly and that you do not continue choosing a path of destruction and one that leads you away from the authority and care of the church.”


Thomas admits he willingly sought the church’s help to reverse his homosexuality through a “12-step program,” but quit halfway through due to the group’s aggressive nature and unrealistic demands.

Instead, he joined a gay volleyball league.

“I joined a gay volleyball league, met other gay people and even began to date a bit,” Thomas wrote in an op-ed for the Dallas Morning News.


“These were not horrible, disgusting people, as I had been led to believe. These were some of the most caring and loving people I’d ever met, and finally, I was not alone. I discovered that many of my new friend, like me, had been wounded by the church.”

Threatened by his sudden happiness, Watermark Community Church served him with the letter of excommunication.

“I don’t think they’re aware just how much this can hurt somebody,” Thomas told Fox 4.


He wrote on Facebook: “I spent years in your church battling against my homosexuality. I believed with all my heart that God would change me; I prayed for change almost daily. But when I wasn’t able to change, you turned your back on me.”

“You say our ’sin’ is not unique, but you treat us in a unique manner; this is unacceptable behavior. We are actual people that have actual feelings.”

Thomas said he is sharing his story now in hopes of empowering others in similar situations.

He wrote to the church: “Thank you for removing yourself from my life! I am who God made me to be. I cannot change my sexual orientation and nor would I want to. I now have internal peace and happiness unlike ever before.”

Jason explains his feelings in an interview with Fox 4 Dallas here.


*******

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

- 2 Corinthians 6:17 (KJV)


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.