Monday, December 26, 2016

"Reflections On Married Life..."


Yesterday was a lovely Christmas in our home...


Me, I was up at 5 a.m. as usual, and I did something I haven't done in years and years... Joni (our elder cat) and I lay on the floor in the living room under the Christmas tree and just looked at the ornaments and icicles sparkle in the lights.  I haven't done that since I was a little boy. As I lay there under the tree listening to the hushed quiet of an early Christmas morning disturbed only by the gentle purring of Joni, I was transported back to the Christmases of my childhood.


It wasn't until 8 o'clock that anyone else in our home began to stir... First to join Joni and I was my son "Meechie" who came down with a wide grin on his face that said the magic of Christmas had not escaped his teenaged mind.  We laughed and talked about what we might make for Christmas breakfast until my husband Ed (Poppa Eddie) and our youngest, Dustin, who's now 11 1/2 also joined us.  But the opening of presents would have wait until after breakfast...


This is what we've been listening to at home all this Christmas season...

This year's Christmas breakfast was fresh pineapple, scrambled eggs with cheese, sausages, bacon and homemade blueberry muffins (made by Poppa Eddie on Saturday).


As we enjoyed our breakfast and listened to Christmas harp music on YouTube, we all laughed and reminisced about our last few Christmases as a family. Then Poppa Eddie and I regaled our children with stories of Christmases from our childhood.  As we laughed and talked and the boys giggled and made fun of us, we all realized how fortunate our lives are and how we've all overcome difficult circumstances to arrive at a pleasant tide of life this Christmas.

After the washing up, it was time to see what Santa had brought.  Poppa Eddie and I were mean dads this year... the boys both got lots of books and Meechie got his old iPod and cell phone wrapped as a present (they'd been taken away as a punishment a couple of weeks ago).

All in all, the boys were happy with their gifts, some clothes, gift cards, games, etc. Poppa Eddie and I were happy as well, he got a new phone from me and he gave me things that made me smile... candy and soda pop! (Meechie has had me on a diet of late.)


Then in the afternoon, we went to the movies (a bit of a Christmas tradition now) and we saw "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them." The kids and Poppa Eddie enjoyed it, I thought it was okay, but I'm not a great fan of fantasy in the ilk of Harry Potter.

On getting home, me and my little kitchen helper Dustin, worked on finishing the Christmas dinner. This was our Christmas Dinner menu:


Steak Hawaiian 
(Delmonico steaks marinated in fresh pineapple puree,
 sauteed in butter, served with seared pineapple)
Crispy Potatoes Monterey
Green Beans Almondeen 
Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
Deviled Eggs
Assorted Nuts, Candies and Relishes
Fuji Apple Pie
Old-Fashioned Raisin Pound Cake
All-Butter Spritz Cookies


The boys' Uncle William (my older brother) joined us for dinner and we all had a merry time (including Joni who loved his steak trimmings).  After dinner, we all sat and talked around the tree and the boys showed their uncle their gifts and we laughed and made merry until we were all tired.


After I dropped my brother off home, it was all I could do to bathe and climb into bed... another Christmas had arrived at a pleasant end. As I began to drift off to sleep, I reflected on some fifty Christmases past and how for most of them, I never believed that the life I have now could ever be possible...


It got better!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.