Wednesday, September 28, 2016

"The Truth About Who We Are..."


Josef, Photographer, Prague, Czech Republic

by thegaymenproject

photos by Kevin Truong










Josef, in his own words: "From early childhood I knew I liked boys more then girls. For me personally it was absolutely normal. The only trouble was to deal with people around me. I grew up in 80's and 90's in eastern Slovakia and I had so little information about what it meant to be gay. But I never wanted to change it, I felt special.

I think my whole life is a challenge. I was always very interested in art. When I was 26 I started to study photography at the University. I finished my Master degree with a very personal queer music project Mušnula. You can check it on YouTube. I think is very important to express the queer side of my personality. The funny thing is that I am also a yoga instructor. And I am very conservative about yoga. That's good balance.

I came out to my mother the night before I left my parents flat. I was 20 and decided to move to another city to live with my boyfriend. I think my mother was sad not because I told her I was gay, but because I left home. We always had a very strong relationship.

My partner was director of a queer film festival in Prague for 4 years. So we are a part of queer community here. But I am not a party person, I do not drink alcohol and I don't visit gay clubs or bars. So I really don't know. I think I know more about yoga community.

I try not to look back. But I am 35 now and sometimes I feel I would like to have more friends. During my life I had just a few really strong friendships. Many of them do not last until today. And I think it is my fault. I don't know if I can change it. Maybe it's too late."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.