Monday, June 9, 2014

"Some Thoughts About Me And A Love Song..."


I'm nearly 50 years old (birthday later this week), and I remember being about the age of these two lads when I first heard John Paul Young's "Love Is In The Air" way back in 1978.  It's lovely lyrics voiced the secret desires and dreams of my heart as I lived my life in fear never imagining that the love depicted above could be mine.  It would be nearly three decades later that I would first dare to allow myself to feel the way this song says love feels.


And for those of you too young to know what this giant black disc is, it's a 12" LP (long playing) vinyl recording, fondly referred to by my generation as a "record."  Sometimes I feel really old, I can remember 78 RPM shellac recordings and in my lifetime, I've seen us go from vacuum tubes to solid state, to integrated circuits and microchips and from computers the size of a house to computers with 1000s of times their power that fit in the palm of your hand.  But the best development or evolution during my life so far has been the freedom to be who you are and to love who you love.


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.