Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Coming Out - On The Job..."

I am out to family, friends, neighbors and colleagues at work... This is how I once came out at work after more than 2 years of avoiding the topic:

A few years ago, it was "Diversity Day" at work and we could dress in ethnic costumes if we wanted, so I decided I'd go one step further, I duct taped my mouth, and pinned a note on my shirt that read:

WHO AM I?
WHAT'S MY DIVERSITY?
WHY DON'T I HAVE A VOICE?
WE'RE EVERYWHERE, BUT MOST OF THE TIME YOU DON'T KNOW IT...

It took my colleagues a couple of hours to figure it out, but by lunch the first of a dozen or so people pulled me aside to shyly ask, "Are you gay?"  And being able to remove the tape and say, "Yes!" was a very liberating experience.  I was encouraged in that nothing changed afterwards, I was still as liked and respected by everyone as I was before.

"Fear Eats the Soul"


1 comment:

  1. Interestingly, just today, a colleague on my new job asked me if my wife liked Mary Kay cosmetics. I guess she hadn't heard, so I replied, "My wife...?" "I've got a husband, and last time I checked, no Mary Kay..." She said, "Oh! Well good for you!" That was the end of it... no big deal. The world has changed!

    "Fear Eats the Soul"

    ReplyDelete

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.