Friday, February 5, 2010

"It Can Be Like This..."


Lee and Brandon from Mobile, Alabama have been together for close to two years and for the first six months maintained a long distance relationship before they both settled down in Mobile.

Lee & Brandon on resolving conflict:

We solve all of our conflict with open communication. Although we haven't always used this concept, we understand that it's the only way to fully dissolve issues. If a problem comes up we talk it out at that given time until their is some kind of mutual ground or understanding met. There isn't much arguing in our relationship, but if necessary we will lock ourselves in a small room and won't come out until we have met a resolution.


On being an openly gay couple within an African-American family:

Before entering into our relationship we were both out to our families and they are completely supportive. We both feel that our families have meshed well with each other. Last Christmas Brandon's family invited my family over for dinner and gift sharing. So my family (mother, brother, sister, bro. in-law, neice) traveled the two hours to join forces. It was a great gathering that everyone enjoyed. My mom loves her some Brandon. Everytime I go home, before she can hug my neck, the first thing she says is "now why didn't you bring my Brandon."? Blaming me because he couldn't make the occasional trip.

Brandon's godmother, who is 78 years old, has been the greatest force within our relationship. She is always eager to share the secrets of her sucessful 50 year marriage. She has welcomed me into her home with open arms as if I was her son.


*******

"A life lived in fear is a life half-lived"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.