Sunday, January 14, 2018

"The Truth About Who We Are..."


Matheus, Fashion Producer, São Paulo, Brazil
by thegaymenproject
photo by Kevin Truong

Matheus, in his own words: "Actually I think being gay it's not something that has a meaning for me, it's a part of who I am just as being black or being tall.

I think the worst part of being gay it's trying to fit in and find your place and sometimes being a little bit afraid of other people's comments and reactions.

The gay community in Brazil in Sao Paulo is very diversed, I think there is a place for everyone twinks, bears, fashionistas and etc... and even for people that don't like labels. hehehee

When I came out to my family I wanted to tell my father first because we have more of a open and straight foward relationship, but my sister who already knew at the time, convinced me to tell my mother first. My mom literally freaked out, and because of that started a little family war between the two of us, that lasted for almost a year. After things calmed down a little bit I told my father , he wasn't that open minded, but he was supportive in his own silent way, and for that I'm very thankfull, because after I told him the bickering between me and my mom ended, and things actually started to get better.

Advice I'd give to anyone (who hasn't come out) is, be patient to others,, it's a process, sometimes you have to put yourself in someone elses shoes to understand their heads. and just be strong. being gay it's not the end of the world, it's just the beggining. hehee"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.