Sunday, May 7, 2017

"A True Love Story..."


Jason and Kenny
Proposal in Central Park

Originally published January 2016 by Equally Wed 

Love always finds its way when it’s meant to be! Kenny and Jason grew up in the city of Syracuse, New York. Before they madly fell in love, they were friends for years. Their friendship ove the years grew stronger and survived the distance and all challenges. They also studied at the same university.


Jason remembers their first encounter:

“I have always been a big fan of poetry and romantic books; I often used to go the library just to enjoy the atmosphere of that place, it was so quaint!” says Jason. “That’s where we first met. There was a reading group every Tuesday night. I didn’t even know I was attracted to guys at that time. We started to see each other more often, jogged together, and played tennis together. We both love nature, hiking, and taking boat trips on the Ontario Lake. That’s how we discovered our attraction for men more or less together. Every time Jason was meeting someone, I used to be happy for him, but at the same time a little envious.”



Jason revives the beginnings of their love story:

“When he moved to New York City for a new job in a bank, I remember being so sad about it. Then we started seeing each other a little less. However, I was following his adventures on social media, new friends, new life, and also a new lover. It seemed like he was with the man of his dreams! But, one night, all of a sudden, he called me crying and said they ended their relationship, and he needed me! It felt like the good old times. I was so surprised and happy that he called me! I booked my ticket right away, and the next day, I met Kenny at his favorite cafe in Chelsea. He was sitting on his own, clearly had cried before, he had a plate with donuts that he was stuffing in his mouth with not much conviction, just like a sad kid!


Despite the apparent despair on his face, Kenny was a handsome man, both confident and fragile. We hugged each other for 30 seconds. He busted into tears and told me how happy he was to see me and that I traveled all the way after the time spent apart. My heart was pounding, and I had goose pimples looking in his eyes! That’s exactly when I realized I always loved him, and that my deepest wish was to stay with him forever and protect him. It was an electric feeling, like I got zapped, and suddenly I realized everything was about to change in a big way.

At that moment, we both knew what was happening. We started ‘dating’, which was a little strange for us at the beginning, as we knew each other so well. When you start to date your best friend, you gain a lot: a protector, undeniable confidence, and a feverish determination to make the relationship work. But, you also lose a lot and learn a lot.”


“I traveled back and forth from Syracuse for three months, but couldn’t bare being away from Kenny,” remembers Jason. “Then, I got a job in NYC, and we moved together soon after. I could feel Kenny was happy just by the way he looked at me. We started to make plans, bought a dog, and talked about marriage. We didn’t know who would propose first, but we knew one of us would! I didn’t want to plan something crazy or complicated. I always thought the New Year was a time for resolutions! We both love going to Central Park on early Sunday mornings, as a way to reconnect with nature. So, we went to Kenny’s favorite spot, Ladies’ Pavillon, that was a joke between us. Unlike the other mornings in January, it was sunny and empty. It felt like the park was there for only the two of us!!! With the help of a planner, I had a photographer hidden behind the trees, following us. I proposed and he accepted! Later that night, we stayed at the ‘William Hotel,’ where we had a fabulous meal, and the most romantic night in a blue suit!”




“The minute Jason said he wanted to go to Central Park that Sunday morning, I knew he was going to propose,” Kenny says about the big day. He was excited and always talking on the phone. I just wanted to scream yes, yes, yes, that entire week, but I waited patiently. I felt like the happiest person in the world. We will exchange our vows on a beach, in Trinidad & Tobago next October, with dear friends and family.”

From Kenny and Jason's romantic wedding last fall:












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.