Thursday, April 27, 2017

"A True Love Story..."


Dominic and Christopher

Dom and I met through a mutual friend in 2005 and spent a few years getting to know each other as friends. We had a lot of common interests so we always had something fun to do together, like going to concerts, amusement parks, and going canoeing. It wasn’t until Spring of 2008, when I invited him to go to the Philadelphia Film Festival with a group of friends, that we had ever even considered our friendship to be anything more than platonic. To our surprise, however, there was magic (and an open bar) in store that night.


We spent the next few weeks and months spending a lot more time together and really getting to know one another. That winter, at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan, he told me for the first time that he loves me and the feeling was mutual.


We both graduated from college in 2010 and that summer, we took a trip to St. John in the Virgin Islands for our friend’s birthday as well as a post-graduation celebration. While we were there, the two of us made a trip in search of a beach he had heard of, called Mermaid’s Chair. What made this particular beach special was that you couldn’t walk or drive to it; it was only accessible by swimming from one of St. John’s bays to another and you would see Mermaid’s Chair halfway between. We rented snorkeling gear and went out into the ocean to find it, but what we didn’t know was that having a beard greatly reduces a snorkeling mask’s effectiveness. Needless to say, the swim was pretty miserable and after what felt like miles, we found the beach.


When we got to the beach, I went around to explore a little and when I turned back around, Dom started acting peculiar. “You know I love you,” he said.

“Yeah…”

“And I think we’re perfect for each other and we should spend the rest of our lives together.”

“Uh huh….”


And then he was down on his knee with a ring in his hand and he asked me to marry him. I, of course, thought he was joking. “What is that?” I asked. “Did you just find that somewhere?”

“I’m serious.” I don’t think it helped that I was also laughing. “Now isn’t the time to be laughing!”


This time I laughed because I was happy. “Of course I’ll marry you!” And the rest is history.


Also, we weren’t on Mermaid’s Chair after all. It turned out that we swam way past it and ended up on Peace Hill, a beach further up the coast that you didn’t have to swim to get to.


Dominic and Christopher got engaged in 2012 and married in 2013.




Photos from yairhaim.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.