Sunday, March 19, 2017

"The Truth About Who We Are..."


Kevin, Medical Biller, New York City

by thegaymenproject

photos by Kevin Truong





Kevin, in his own words: "The most important thing I've come across so far is to allow. For a long time, I was denial about being gay because it wasn't in my plans - it totally obstructed the life I thought I wanted. But it was true.

Unlike every thing that I thought I needed to make my life (and my self) complete - the girlfriend, the traditional family, the 'being normal' - me being who I am is true. If being gay is anything to me, it's the acceptance of your self in a way that isn't necessarily easy. Getting rid of my old ideals and getting to see myself on a daily, moment by moment basis as I am and will become has been unlike anything else. 

With sexuality becoming as political as it has, there often times seems to be risk in that allowance. But I'm seeing that that risk makes it even more fulfilling. To stand for your life and your self when there still is a normal that sometimes stands against you instead of with you, is such an opportunity to build a type of courage that will bode well for any venture you take. Being gay is really one of the best gifts I could've gotten, in that way."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.