Saturday, July 30, 2016

"A Thought To Ponder..."


Apparently, the organizers of Cleveland, Ohio's annual "Pride" have decided not to hold the event this year and according to some media reports, there is outrage in the LGBTQI community because of this.  Cleveland organizers are claiming a "changing social environment" as the reason for their abrupt change of plans in a notice on Facebook.  This is probably a prudent move on their part considering Cleveland just hosted the hatefest that was this year's RNC convention.

No matter their reasoning, I, for one applaud their decision.  I've never understood "Pride," at least not the events that happen today.  I understand early pride events were peaceful protests over discrimination and social stigma, but I fail to see what today's hedonistic and debauched displays of sexualized narcissism in public spaces has to do with promoting and ensuring the acceptance of my freedom, rights and equality.

Detroit's black gay pride event* "Hotter than July" has been going on all this week, and yesterday my husband suggested that he might take our son to the picnic and parade today.  I was shocked and aghast that he thought that a good idea.  We've since talked about it and agreed that the venue is not the place for our young son (and in my opinion, for either of us).  I've never attended a pride event in my life and I don't expect that I ever will.  I believe that the life that I live with my husband and family as a part of our community is the best way to show my neighbors and fellow citizens that we live among them and that we are deserving of there respect and acceptance.

I think it's time to put away the feather boas, thongs and leather and just live our lives openly and respectfully as the equal citizens that we've proven we are.  Let's stop inflaming the intransigent few who will never lay down their hatred of us and instead let us continue to win over our friends and neighbors who when they see us on the street and on our jobs and in our schools everyday can say "they're the same as me."



"Fear Eats the Soul"



* That there is even such a thing as this self-segregating "black gay pride" is an issue unto itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.