Wednesday, August 26, 2015

"Reflections On Married Life..."


It's been a wonderful summer...

Eddie and I took our children on their first family vacation with us last week.  We went on a road trip to Michigan's West Coast to visit "Michigan's Adventure" a Cedar Fair theme park in Muskegon. We took the roads less traveled avoiding highways and driving through the countryside.  Our city-boys were amazed at the site of farmland and orchards for as far as the eye can see.


At the amusement park and later at the adjoining water park, we had a ball... I was a little nervous that maybe Eddie and I had gotten too old for such things, but we endured all the roller coasters and stomach churning rides just fine.  I was surprised that Dustin was terrified by what I had thought to be a quite sedate ride (compared to others).  He held on to me so tightly I could hardly breathe, but once we got off the ride he quickly regained his courage and tried a few more thrillers on the midway.


At the water park, the boys were in their element as they frolicked in the water and sluiced down the slides.  I rented a cabana where Eddie and I kept a watchful eye on the kids and recuperated from the days literal twists and turns.

The boys loved every minute of the trip and I have to admit I did too... I realized the joy that my parents must have felt on the summer excursions that our family made when I was a kid.


Other things we've done this summer included a trip to the Detroit Zoo and lots of days out at the movies.  We also took the boys with us to work and it looks like Dustin may have an interest in horticulture which thrills Papa Eddie since he may have a little apprentice gardener in the works. Meechie likes my work and he looked every bit the part when I took him out with me to an appointment.


Just this last week, we've been doing the "back-to-school" shopping and even that task made me happy as the boys faces lit up at the prospect of new pencils, paper and notebooks. Our children bring us so much happiness and they've drawn Eddie and I even closer in our marriage... As the date of their formal adoption nears, we are a happy family and I can say that despite all my doubts as a young man, I have fulfilled my greatest dreams, I am a husband, I am a father to my sons and a grand dad too (my oldest son Marvin is expecting his third child) and my husband and our children are in a pleasant tide of life.

It does get better!


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.