Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"The Truth About Christmas And The Brotherhood Of Man..."



Britsh supermarket chain Sainsbury's famously produces an annual Christmas promotional ad and this year's presentation is an especially moving one.  Sainbury's has chosen to honor the story of "The Christmas Truce of 1914."  Based on actual events at the Western Front on that first Christmas in the openning year of the The Great War one hundred years ago this year.

The spot has received critical acclaim as well as abject criticism from various circles, but I have to say, it touched and moved me powerfully.  I've known the story of The Christmas Truce since I was a boy, but this incredible dramatization and portrayal of it brought it to life in a way I could never have imagined it.  Each time I watch it, I weep openly in the realization of the truth it presents and reminds us of...

We are all in the family of man.


From The Illustrated London News of January 9, 1915: "British and German Soldiers Arm-in-Arm Exchanging Headgear: A Christmas Truce between Opposing Trenches"


"Happy Christmas"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.