Sunday, December 14, 2014

"A Thought To Ponder..."

Rev. Edward James outside the federal courthouse in Jackson, Mississippi, on Friday, 
with his horse, Charlotte, in a wedding dress protesting the recent federal court decision
striking down Mississippi's same-sex marriage ban.

Whenever I see ignorance like this I'm reminded of a comment my ex-wife once made to me... she said, "If I wasn't black, I wouldn't want to be."  At the time, I thought it was one of the most repugnant things I'd ever heard.  But now, nearly 20 years later, I do somewhat understand what she might have meant...

Why is it that the oppressed always become the oppressors?

The good pastor above cites chapter and verse about "homosexuality being a sin and an abomination" while conveniently ignoring that the same book (still) approves of slavery and was used in the exact same way to justify the kidnap, bondage, rape and murder of our own ancestors.

I believe in God, but I don't hold that the "scriptures" are the literal word of God.  In my humble opinion, the scriptures {bible(s), Torrah, Quran, etc} were all written by mortal men, sometimes inspired, but more often than not, inspired by their own desires to maintain the status quo of those in power.

Sadly, so many black "faith leaders" (if you can call them that) are engaged in exactly the same thing as those "inspired" prophets of old... They seek to keep their flocks in line by distracting them from the truth with lies and hatred directed at whatever marginalized group they can victimize.

How quickly we forget... Blacks were (and still are in many ways) demonized in just the same ways that so-called "christians" (and sadly, especially black ones) are attempting to use marriage equality as a wedge to separate people from the truth that all men (and women) are created equal, and that we're all the same, only human.



"Fear Eats the Soul"



1 comment:

  1. You can see what you're talking about when it comes to Hispanics as well. On the one hand you have Marco Rubio, a Cuban-American, born to immigrants (not exiles) and on the other you have Ted Cruz, half Cuban, born in Canada and totally rejecting their heritage and even hurting their brothers and sisters compatriots.
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.