Thursday, November 27, 2014

"Reflections On Married Life..."

Today, the husband and I will celebrate the holiday with a traditional Thanksgiving meal.

I actually started cooking yesterday... When I got home from work, I baked my Great, Great Grandmother Mack's Raisin Pound Cake.  The recipe for this cake has been passed down through my mother's family since slavery days in Mississippi.  No Thanksgiving or Christmas meal would be complete without this cake on the sweets table.  It takes a while to make and it's also a costly cake to make, but every slice brings back memories of days gone by.

In addtion to the raisin cake, I made pumpkin pie, and lemon and cherry tarts.  I made deviled eggs too (our appetizer) and I preped the brussell sprouts that I'll roast with thyme later today to go with the turkey and cornbread dressing.  I made homemade cranberry sauce too, it's so easy to make and tastes so much better than the canned variety.  I also made homemade dinner rolls that I shaped into bow knots and basted with butter before and after baking.


Eddie took these photos last night while I was cooking...


In a little while, the turkey will be ready and I'll peel the spuds for the mashed potatoes. Then, I'll set the table with the "Thanksgiving China" (it's got turkey's on it) and when my brother arrives later, we'll all enjoy a traditonal thanksgiving feast.

I have to admit that I'm a bit excited for the holidays to arrive this year because our family might grow by Christmas... Our foster parenting license has finally been approved and now we're waiting for the right child to join our home and family.

It does get better...


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.