Sunday, November 2, 2014

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."

Rugby Legend Gareth Thomas Discusses Possible Marriage To His 'Soulmate'

The gay sporting star appeared on The Jonathan Ross Show to talk about his life and new autobiography. Ross, who has a gay daughter, personally thanked Thomas for being so open about his sexuality

David Hudson
November 2, 2014

Gareth Thomas, the former rugby player who came out in 2009, has just published his autobiography, Proud.

On Saturday night he appeared on the Jonathan Ross Show on British's ITV channel, to talk about his career and his previous struggles with his sexuality.

Thomas enjoyed a phenomenal rugby career as a player, and was, until September 2011, the most capped Welsh rugby union player, with 100 appearances for his country.

He married his wife, Jenna, in 2001, but they filed for divorce in 2007. Thomas came out in an interview with the Daily Mail in 2009, and has revealed that in his darkest moments, he contemplated suicide. He told Ross that he continues to be bowled over by the reaction that he gets from people to his decision to discuss his sexuality.

‘I have won every trophy that I can ever dream of winning but when you affect somebody’s life, in a way that this person is going to have a life that they never thought they could have because of me, stupid old me, because of that they could do that, it’s amazing.

‘I didn’t come out because I wanted to be the first person to do it and I was going to be a trailblazer, I came out because I came to a crossroads of living or dying and that’s why I decided to come out, I wanted to live.’

In a moment of genuine gratitude, Ross shook Gareth’s hand and told him: ‘One of my children is gay.

‘I do understand the impact it has when someone like you stands up and says what you said and comes out because it is very important.

‘I know there are people and there are kids up and down this country still who are wrestling this and who are feeling lost and alone and frightened by what’s going on and so the fact that you can come up and tell your story this open and clearly in a remarkably honest way - because you are unflinching in the way you judge yourself which I think is very unusual in a book - so I want to say thank you personally for what you’re doing and I think that everybody feels that what you’re doing is an important thing.’

Finally, when asked by Ross if marriage might be on the cards for him and his partner, Ian Baum [pictured with him on the right], Thomas replied:

‘We’ve known each other for two years and we’ve been living together for a year and I am very much in love with Ian, I’m extremely happy and I’m sure one day down the line [we might get married], we’re settling in but I definitely wouldn’t write it off because I really feel I’ve found my soulmate and the person I can spend the rest of my life with, I really do.’

Watch the interview below:



*******

And so, as you see, the truth does truly set you free and opens up the possibilities
for true happiness and love in your life.


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.