Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"The Imitation Of Life..."


When I was just a boy on the verge of manhood, I remember watching "Brideshead Revisited" on a little B/W television in the closet under the basement stairs in the fall and winter of 1981-82.  

It was this dramatization of Evelyn Waugh's famous novel that gave me my first glimpse of the possibility of happiness in a gay romance.  But when it all ended so badly for Charles and Sebastian (and for that matter, with Anthony Blanche, whose character both fascinated and repulsed me), it left me quite disenchanted with the notion that perhaps it was okay to be a same gender loving person...

I am always remembering...


"Fear Eats the Soul"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.