Sunday, October 5, 2014

"I Am Always Remembering..."

First Civil Partnership in Denmark 1989

I remember this historic event well, my mother was abhorred by the development and the me that was still living in deep, deep denial of the truth of my own heart, I was somewhat in shock too.  At the time, I was in the service and very much in love with one of my shipmates, although even I didn't realize that's what that tingly feeling was that I was experiencing for the very first time in my life.

I can remember having a conversation about this event with some other shipmates, and realizing that the only "acceptable" opinion was to be repulsed.  I'm sorry to say that I was quick to voice those same opinions because in the military, conformity was everything in those days.  I of course knew in my heart of hearts that I was a same gender loving person, but I refused to accept that truth.

Now, I am amazed at how the world and my life has changed... I am out of the closet, I am married, and I have found a more or less pleasant tide of life. It does get better...


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.