Wednesday, October 22, 2014

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."


NOT ABLE TO COME OUT IN HIGH SCHOOL, I RETURNED 6 YEARS LATER TO SET MY STORY STRAIGHT(ISH)

Steven James Boyle
October 21, 2014


After receiving a little attention online from my poetry and more specifically from “i hit send or modern meltdown” I really wanted to take another step towards making an impact for myself and for those who might find my videos. When I was in high school, I was terrified of the idea of coming out, despite the fact that my school was one of the most tolerant and understanding places I had ever had the pleasure of attending. I decided I wanted to go back and show myself, and more importantly the kids, that being brave means doing what you can with what you have.

When I contacted my old school asking about their annual “Open Doors” assemblies where the LGBTQA student body is showcased, I was met with a very warm and excited response.

There is really no way of explaining what it feels like to go back and write the end of a chapter you weren’t pleased with the first time around. I was lucky enough to be given that chance.

“Message Sent, or I am Nervous” is a poem I wrote for this assembly about the celebration of putting up with the hard stuff and finally, finally getting the pay off. I wrote this poem for the guy or girl in the audience who felt just like me in the seats year after year watching the LGBTQA assembly and feeling like they would never be brave enough.

I hope it speaks to anyone who has ever felt as helpless as I did during that time, and to those who waited it out to see the best parts of life.

There are few things I am more proud of than this performance. Enjoy.


******


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.