Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"The Truth About Racism In America..."

This is America, 2014
Reminds me of the 1960s
"Assuming the position"

I've held back my thoughts on the on-going crisis in Ferguson, Missouri for over a week as I waited for more facts to come to light.  Sadly, I've formed my opinion now and it's exactly what I had hoped it wouldn't be...


I believe that Michael Brown was basically executed (shot six times), for daring to defy white power and authority as vested in the white police officers like Darren Wilson who are trained to view black men as the enemy as they militaristically occupy the communities that they don't actually live in...



Jesse Williams, activist and actor does a fantastic job of stating the truth about racism in America... I agree with him wholeheartedly.


I know that I am many times more likely to die in any interaction with police than someone who is not a person of color...

Because of the color of my skin, many of my countrymen find it easy to see me as a "lesser than..." Someone less than human whose murder by police is easily justifiable. This is a fundamental truth about life for black and brown people in America, and something that our parents teach us about at an early age.



The President of the United States may be a man of color, but this nation is far from a "post-racial" society.


"Fear Eats the Soul"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.