Friday, August 15, 2014

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."


TEACHER COMES OUT TO ENTIRE SCHOOL, RECEIVES AMAZING LETTER 4 YEARS LATER

Adrian Garcia
August 14, 2014


Four-years-ago David Weston made the extremely courageous decision to come out as a gay man after battling a rare liver condition.

After recuperating from his transplant in 2010, Weston took the stage during a school assembly at Watford Grammar, and revealed to his students that he was gay.

‘Everyone at the school was so supportive and there was a positive reaction,’ he told Metro Uk.

This week, David shared a letter he received from a former pupil who was deeply impacted by his announcement four years earlier:

Hi David,
I know you probably won’t remember me, but when I was in year 7 (2004) you were my deputy form tutor, and I was in sixth form during your 2nd stint at Watford Grammar.
I just wanted you to know how inspirational your assembly was, and how much of a positive impact it had on the school. I am a heterosexual man myself but have always been proactive in the fight against homophobia.
I know this message may seem a little pointless but I really felt you should know that you challenged the ignorance of so many people that day, and if every gay teacher shared your courage, then the world would be a much better place – not just for gay men, but for all of us.
For that, I thank you.
They may not quite have had the wherewithal to tell you so, but so many of the students had so much respect for you for what you did – never had we witnessed a teacher perform so honestly the act for which they were employed – the act of teaching.
I will carry the memory with me for the rest of my life. Thank you.

“I nearly didn’t share [the letter],” Weston told Buzzfeed, “but thought maybe it would help other teachers who are afraid of revealing their sexuality. But I’ve heard from a number of people who are already openly gay and have entirely positive and comfortable reactions from pupils and colleagues alike.”

After the tweet went viral, Weston emailed his former student back and received this response:

David,
I am overwhelmed with happiness at the response that this message has received – but let me remind you that it is your courage which people are picking up on, not my small act of kindness.
I am overjoyed that your assembly is receiving the recognition it deserves.



*******

"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.