Thursday, June 26, 2014

"It Reminds Me Of Space Flight..."

Yesterday brought two more victories on the road to full marriage equality in the United States.  A Federal Appeals Court affirmed the decision in Utah striking down that state's ban on same-sex marriage.  And in Indiana, the first same-sex marriage took place within minutes of a Federal judge's ruling that Indiana's marriage ban was also unconstitutional.

When I say it reminds me of space flight, I'm talking about how our victories have become so commonplace.  I remember as a boy when manned space flight was new, everything and everyone paused for a moment whenever there was a launch.  But then, after the first few moon missions and when the Space Shuttle successfully entered service, sometimes you didn't even realize there had been a launch until you saw it on the evening news.

Our tide of victories in court after court across the country reminds me that equality is becoming the norm just like space flight.  But unlike space flight, with our every victory, I still get just as happy and excited as I remember being for the moon landings, the launch of Skylab and those first Shuttle flights.  That we have come so far, so quickly makes me proud to be an American.

Although it took us a great long while to get here, I believe the day is almost at hand when marriage equality will become the law of the land everywhere.  For me, to have gone from being in the closet of fear, lies and deception, to being a married, out and proud same-gender-loving person has been an incredible journey. For me, every victory on the road to equality and freedom feels just like the moment I first heard Neil Armstrong say, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."


"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.