Wednesday, November 20, 2013

"The Poet's Corner..."

 
"Constancy"
Katherine Bradley and Edith Cooper

 I love him with the seasons, with the winds,
As the stars worship, as anemones
Shudder in secret for the sun, as bees
Buzz round an open flower: in all kinds
My love is perfect, and in each he finds
Himself the goal: then why, intent to teaze
And rob his delicate spirit of its ease,
Hastes he to range me with inconstant minds?
If he should die, if I were left at large
On earth without him-I, on earth, the same
Quick mortal with a thousand cries, his spell
His fears would break. And I confront the charge
As sorrowing, and as careless of my fame
As Christ intact before the infidel.



* gender pronouns were modified from the original reading





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.