Monday, April 29, 2013

"And The Truth Shall Set You Free..."

"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay." 

From the cover story of this week's Sports Illustrated. 12-year pro-basketball veteran Jason Collins just became the "first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport."


"I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons."



I predict that Jason will be only the first of a long list of professional athletes to come out this summer... I even foresee a same-sex marriage for a current athlete as not out of the question.  I am so proud of him and I applaud his courage and strength... What a wonderful time to be gay!

"Fear Eats the Soul"



1 comment:

  1. President Barack Obama telephoned NBA veteran Jason Collins on Monday, hours after the journeyman center became the first openly gay male athlete playing in a major professional team sport.

    "The president called Jason Collins to express his support and said he was impressed by his courage," a White House official said.

    First lady Michelle Obama also had strong words of support for Collins, taking to Twitter to post: "So proud of you, Jason Collins! This is a huge step forward for our country. We’ve got your back! -mo"

    ReplyDelete

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.