Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"The Perfect Christmas Gift..."


We perhaps all know someone who is struggling to accept the truth of their own heart, the truth that they are a same gender loving, GLBT, or gay person.  Maybe that person is you who are reading this right now...

Just over a year ago, I discovered a blog written by Paul Vitagliano called "Born This Way" in which he shared his own story of discovery and acceptance that he was gay.  But more importantly, Paul also sought out and allowed others to share their stories and soon the blog became immensely popular.  My own story is featured here.  This fall, Paul released a book of the same title featuring selected stories from the blog and I have to say it should be required reading for us all.

Although you can read many of those same stories and more on the blog, there is something very powerful and redeeming about holding a book in your hands that tells your story as it was lived by people just like you.  There is a unique feeling that you get while turning the pages as you read about others who've had similar experiences to your own... it makes the intangible real and gives you something you can point to and say, "Yes, it does get better!"  For me, it confirmed what I wished I had been able to learn so much sooner in my life than when I did at age 40 - that I am as I was meant to be, I was "Born This Way..."

I think a copy of Paul's book makes a great gift for yourself, and more importantly, a fantastic gift for someone you may know who is struggling to understand and accept themselves.  Moreover, I think it's a great book to share with family, friends and colleagues who may be having trouble accepting the reality of our lives and that we are just as human as anyone else and that we really are "Born This Way."

For more information about the Born This Way Book, please check out Amazon,Barnes & Noble, or Quirk Books.*

Since we all have stories that deserve to be told,  please share your's on Paul’s blog! 


"Fear Eats the Soul"


* Disclaimer: A reviewer's copy of the book was provided to me by the publisher.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christopher! Thank you for this wonderful feature on my book! And it was nice to be reminded of your posting on the blog as well. Everything you said here really covers everything I'd like to see the book achieve: sending the message to gay kids (and their parents) that being gay is quite OK. And to just treat it like a normal fact of life - which it is! All my best in 2013! xo - Paul V.

    ReplyDelete

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.