Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"The Truth About Technology..."

Just the other day, I was wondering aloud to myself - "Why am I so un-stereotypically gay when it comes to technology...?"  I'm typically not a "first-adopter" of anything new, I much prefer to let others do the beta-testing... I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out, thank you very much. 


Now what had me thinking about this was a television commercial that I saw for the newest MacBook laptop.  As I watched in awe of its thinness and sleek lines, I wondered why I've never been a big fan of Apple products (except for the Apple IIe* and it's early office software AppleWorks).  I don't own an I-Phone, I-Pod or anything else "I-", nor do I want to.  
So today, as I perused Huffington Post, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my stubborn affection for Windows had paid off in dividends that will help our cause in Washington state this November:
According to the Associated Press, Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, and Ballmer, the company's CEO, have each written $100,000 checks to Washington United for Marriage, a same-sex marriage advocacy group based in Seattle.
In February, Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire signed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in the state, and the law was to go into effect on June 7. But that was put in hold last month when opponents gathered enough signatures to put the the bill up for referendum in the November general election.         Read more here.
And while the money is sorely needed by our side, I'm more impressed that Gates and Ballmer openly and publicly gave their sizable contributions.  In so doing, these global icons of the tech and business worlds lend their powerful voices to our cause of equality and justice for GLBT people.  Bravo!

"Fear Eats the Soul"


* In fact I didn't actually even own a genuine Apple IIe, my first computer was a Laser 128ex, an Apple II clone that boasted 128 KB of internal memory back in 1990 (really a lot at the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.