Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"The Truth About Independence Day..."

Today is "The 4th of July," and more so now than at anytime in my lifetime, I feel happier and more proud to be an American than I have ever before.  At this time in history, I can clearly see the day when I will not be a second-class citizen of one of the Greatest Nations on Earth.  

Although I served my country in the uniform of her Navy in silence, my shipmates today know the freedom to live openly that I never imagined would be possible.  My marriage to my husband, while not recognized by my home state or my federal government, is acknowledged by 7 states, something I once believed that I'd never see in my lifetime.  

Moreover, the tide of freedom, justice and acceptance is growing and I know one day very soon, the promises of equality and freedom enshrined in the document whose declaration we celebrate today will be proven to belong to GLBT people as equal citizen of a free nation whose principles we hold to be self-evident..."That all men are created equal..."






"Happy Birthday America!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.