Friday, January 13, 2012

"The History Of Love..."

Abraham Lincoln (lawyer, U.S. president) & Joshua Speed (merchant, editor)
On April 15, 1837, an impoverished Abraham Lincoln, 28, met Joshua Speed, 22, at his general store in Springfield, Illinois, and immediately agreed to share a bed with him in his living quarters above the store. They continued to share their bed for four years. They must have had a lot of interesting discussions because Joshua was the son of a plantation and slave owner. When Joshua told Abraham that he was returned to his native Kentucky, Abraham had a nervous breakdown. Abraham wrote at the time: “I am now the most miserable man living. Whether I shall ever be better I can not tell; I awfully forbode I shall not. To remain as I am is impossible; I must die or be better, it appears to me.” They remained friends throughout life. Abraham penned passionate letters to Joshua Speed, which he signed “yours forever,” a phrase he never wrote to his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.