Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"The Truth About Love..."


This post is really also about "The Truth of Life After Don't Ask, Don't Tell..." 

This morning, from an excerpt featured on Huffington Post, I stumbled across what is perhaps the best description of what it meant to be gay and in uniform during and following DADT.  The author, Matthew Phelps is a Marine officer who bravely came out to his entire command by taking a date to the Marine Corps annual "Birthday Ball" this last November 10th.

As I read his blog posts about this, I was quite overcome by the emotions and memories it evoked of my own experiences serving in the uniform of my country, while not being able to be true to my heart and the reality of who I really was.  As I write this now, tears of vicarious joy are still flowing in my eyes... I am so happy for Matthew and for every other SGL person now able to serve with honor and greater integrity... At times, I can hardly believe that I lived to see this day that as a boy and young man, I thought would never come.

Read Matthew's story in his own words here...

"Semper Fi!"

"A life lived in fear is a life half-lived..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.