Saturday, March 12, 2011

"This Made Me Smile..."

I love the satire of the Onion and this is a good example of why... At first I was offended, but when I watched it the second time, it seemed funny to me. Then when I watched it the third time, I realized I'd post it because I then got the message... It's really about challenging stereotypes and the fact that "Gay Pride" doesn't represent everyone.

I think we (GLBT people) tend to be a little too thin skinned, it's okay to poke fun at us just as we poke fun at other groups and their stereotypes. It's okay because it gets us talking about these issues. This is a lesson I learned when I was working in Canada where people routinely use racial and other epitaphs in their daily conversations. The difference is that in Canada, its not done with malicious intent, but rather as a way to communicate more openly and honestly. Political correctness, at least as we practice it here in the U.S. leaves a lot to be desired...



"Fear Eats the Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.