Saturday, March 12, 2011

"A Story to Share..."



Occupation: Freelance game developer

A little known fact about me: I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York.

My Deciding Moment: My deciding moment coincided with the loss of my cousin. It wasn’t until he told me he was HIV positive that I realized how little I knew about HIV. I combed the internet for more information and answers to so many questions. I swore to keep myself up to date on HIV/AIDS transmission, preventative measures, and ways to cope with carrying the virus. If not for myself, then it would benefit someone close to me.

Why I believe it’s important to bring the issue of HIV to others’ attention: While there are physical implications of having HIV, there seems to be a lack of focus on the emotional issues that may arise. Not enough is done to help people actually cope with being HIV positive.

Why I chose to get involved: I lost two of my dear friends, as well as a cousin to AIDS. At times, I’ve seen them lose so much of what made them unique and powerful individuals due to the emotional issues stemming from being positive. If my involvement will do even a little to remind people that being positive isn’t a death sentence, it’s enough to put me at ease knowing that fewer people are falling victim to their own fears.

How I am Greater Than AIDS: Realizing that AIDS is just one small facet in our lives, which really isn’t big enough to hinder our progress as human beings.













"Fear Eats the Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.