Monday, January 3, 2011

"The Truth Tonight..."


Tonight I'm thinking about the last days... the last days of life. Someday, we will all experience them, each in our own ways.

I'm a witness to one man's last days, the days when one's goal is merely to "Breathe easy" and know "Comfort." This evening, as I looked at those words quickly scrawled across a dry erase board, I thought to myself "How important are all those many days that come before these few...?"

As I brushed a fevered brow and wiped away the snot and drool that make their own way out of and across a distorted and wrinkled face, I wondered what thoughts might still flow through the mind (and soul) trapped in the tortured, prodded, poked and tired body laid out before me.

As I looked on, every breath an effort of Herculean proportion, I remembered the days when I thought this man invincible... to my mind he could conquer anything or anyone. But now, as I'm in my fifth decade of life and he is in his tenth, I know better... We're all only human. We all pass this way only once. The mortal road has an end and there is a sunset waiting there. Tonight as I looked into tired eyes shut tight by a fever and weakness, and as I held a now feeble hand, I think I got a glimpse of that setting sun.



"Fear Eats the Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.