Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"The Truth Tonight..."


November 30, 2010

As of this afternoon, there is absolutely no excuse to delay the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Now it's time to act.

The Department of Defense has released its landmark study, 9 months in the making. It came to the same conclusion as numerous experts' reports and 25 other countries.

They all agree on one simple, inescapable truth: Lesbians and gays should serve openly in the U.S. military.

My fellow troops have spoken. Generals have spoken. Think tanks have spoken. The American people have spoken.

From this point forward, any delay is nothing more than discrimination and partisan politics. It needs to end. The Senate is holding critical hearings this week and won't be in session long – so we must act now.

Tell your senators: No more delays. The military and the American people have spoken. Do the right thing. Repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" now.

I was the first American wounded in Iraq. I lost my leg. I almost lost my life. When I returned home, I came out – and spoke out against a policy that forced me to hide who I was.

I've talked to elected officials on both sides of the debate. They all need to hear from us today. The ones with the courage to fight for equal rights still need to hear that voters want them to make it a priority. And the ones who have supported discrimination can still be convinced by the facts highlighted in this new report. I've seen it happen.

The evidence is on our side. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has always been wrong. But now, it's not just me or you saying it – it's the Pentagon’s own study.

We're on the brink of ending injustice – but we all must stand together, right now.

The clock is ticking and the Senate won't be in session too much longer. Raise your voice today.

Let's make this happen – for my brothers and sisters in arms who put themselves on the line to defend us, and for the good of this nation we all love.

In solidarity,

Eric Alva
Retired Marine Staff Sergeant


*******

U.S. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121

*******

"A life lived in fear is a life half-lived..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.