Thursday, November 25, 2010

"The Truth About Cooking Turkey..."


The Easiest Way to Roast a Turkey…

No, this is not about how to poke fun at me at a party, but rather, this is how to roast the perfect turkey with very little work and absolutely NO basting.

I’ve literally been cooking since I could reach the stove. I took over cooking most of the family meals when I was just 12 years old. So, I’ve cooked a few turkeys in my day and about 15 years ago I discovered this method of roasting a turkey that’s virtually foolproof. It’s also much easier than the roasting pan method where you have to constantly baste the bird.

Ingredients and Supplies:

12-20 Pound Turkey (fresh or frozen-thawed)
Favorite Stuffing (optional)
1 Slice of Bread (any kind)
4 tablespoons Melted Butter
Salt, Ground Pepper, Sage, Thyme
4 Stalks Celery Coarsely Chopped
1 Large Onion Coarsely Chopped

Shallow Baking Pan with Rack
Slightly Larger Shallow Baking Pan or Cookie Sheet
2 Brown Paper Grocery Bags

Brown Paper Bag Turkey Roasting Method

Wash and dry turkey (be sure to remove neck and giblets).
Season the inside cavities of the turkey with salt, ground pepper, sage, and thyme.
Loosely stuff turkey (optional) or put ½ of celery and onion inside breast cavity.
Place one slice of bread inside neck cavity of turkey (prevents skin from burning).
Place turkey on rack in the smaller baking pan, brush skin on all sides with melted butter.
Put celery and onion in the bottom of the pan around turkey.
Rub salt, pepper, sage and thyme over buttered skin.
Place turkey in pan inside of brown paper grocery bag.
Pull second paper bag over first in the opposite direction so that turkey is fully enclosed.
Place bagged turkey on second baking pan.
Roast in oven at 325 – 350 for 20-25 minutes per pound of turkey weight.

THE HARD PART:

Trust this method to give you the moistest, most flavorful turkey you’ve ever roasted.

IMPORTANT: Don’t peak… Do not open the bag until the full roasting time has elapsed. When you do open the bag you’ll find the most beautifully browned, picture perfect turkey you’ve ever imagined. Use the broth in the bottom of the pan for gravy.


********

I wrote this about 3 years ago, but never posted it at the time. I wrote this when I was planning to make a traditional Thanksgiving feast for Stephen Christopher Harris. Although I cooked hundreds of meals for him, his fears and evil ways meant that this meal never happened. But today for the first time since my mother passed away, I'll be roasting a turkey and serving that traditional holiday meal. I can't lie, I know I'll be thinking of him at some point during this day. I hope he is well and perhaps finally knows the truth of his own heart.


"Fear Eats the Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.