Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"In The News Today..."

Ron Kirkland, one of two homophobic candidates in Tennessee's 8th District

TN Congressional Candidates: Gays were 'taken care of' when they were in military





April 30, 2010

Republican candidates in the 8th Congressional District made candid comments about gays during a recent Tea Party forum that included discussion about the military's "don't ask don't tell" policy.

Physicians Ron Kirkland of Jackson and George Flinn of Memphis were among the candidates Thursday night who talked largely about how they're against the Obama administration and its policies, according to The Jackson Sun.

The candidates criticized the administration for wanting to overturn the gay policy, which prevents gays from serving openly in the military. President Barack Obama has called on Congress to lift the ban, and military officials are examining how to do that.

The candidates said ending the policy is "political correctness" that adds an unnecessary stress on the military.

Kirkland, a Vietnam veteran, said of his time in the military: "I can tell you if there were any homosexuals in that group, they were taken care of in ways I can't describe to you."

Smith, who served in the first Iraqi war, added: "I definitely wouldn't want to share a shower with a homosexual. We took care of that kind of stuff, just like (Kirkland) said."

The Tennessee Republican Party had no comment about the candidates statements when contacted by The Associated Press on Friday.

Meanwhile, Chris Sanders, chairman of the Tennessee Equality Project, bemoaned the candidates' comments in a statement Friday that said "violence against gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender service members is unacceptable."

******

I ran across this story while reading Jonathan Turley's legal blog and I was moved to share my comments on it... This is what I had to say:

Some background before my comment… I am a black man. I am a lifelong Republican. I am a veteran. I am a same gender loving man (AKA a gay man).

As a former elected member of my state's Republican Party committee and a candidate for public office under our banner, I've met many like these two. Men like these have corrupted and co-opted the principles of the Republican Party to the point that it is unrecognizable to me after nearly 30 years of association.

That these two could get away with not only making the statements that they did, but doing so with pride turns my stomach and awakens fearful shame-laden memories of my own experiences in the military. I know exactly what these two meant when they referred to homosexuals being "taken care of."

Another commenter mentioned that it was probably a "blanket party" and for the sake of clarity this is what it entails: While asleep in your bunk, four of your "comrades in arms" throw a blanket over you and bearing down on all four corners hold you down on your mattress. While pinned under this blanket, unable to see, breath or move, others beat you black and blue, not with their fists, but with bars of soap wrapped in towels, all the while cursing and spitting vile epitaphs that they think justify their assault upon you.

Even though I was a closeted gay man during my entire military career, I was never the victim of a blanket party, but I was a frightened and silent witness to more than one. To this day, I am haunted by my silence and failure to act as I witnessed the relentless brutality and listened to the victims cries for help become strained gasps for breath and then finally mournful whimpering. Their only crime... being thought to be "gay."

These were lessons that taught me to hide my heart and to guard my every movement and every word. In short, I became a ghost, present but unseen... as much a victim as those I failed to aid.

It's time to stop hating people for their nature...

That these two can openly brag about and express pride in such acts should be considered an abomination to the hearts of men and God and a mark of unworthiness of the public trust.

*******

"Fear Eats the Soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.